February 18, 2018
We are deeply saddened by the tragic events that have taken place in schools across the nation, most recently at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. Our deepest sympathies and condolences go out to the families, friends, the school community and the staff.
We want to assure you that the safety of our students at Newbury Local Schools is our top priority. Newbury Local Schools continually reviews its safety protocols and is in the process of making further improvements to facilities to continue to increase safety and security. Most importantly, our district leadership and teachers believe strongly in the positive relationships we build with our students so they feel safe and secure. We will continue to do all that is within our power to provide a safe and secure environment for all of our students.
It is especially important during times of devastating news to continue to provide a normal routine for our children. Everyone has questions, including our children. Here are some resources that you may find helpful in providing support and guiding dialogue:
The Fred Rogers Company
National Association of School Psychologists
Administration for Children and Families
The National Child Traumatic Stress Network (NCTSN)
Resources for Responding to Violence and Tragedy
FEMA and the Red Cross
Child Mind Institute
George Lucas Educational Foundation
Supporting Families in a Time of Fear
How to Talk about Hatred in America
If you have any specific concerns about your child, please reach out to your child’s counselor, principal, or me. And again, our deepest sympathies are with all of the families who have suffered such tragic losses.
Ms. Michelle Kalish
Superintendent of Schools
Small but Mighty, Newbury!
Dear Black Knight Families, August 1, 2017
Welcome back to the 2017-18 school year! I hope you had a relaxing and enjoyable summer. The Newbury staff has been working diligently over the summer to prepare the building for an exciting school year.
I also want to thank the members of our community for their continued support of the district and its students. There are several key members of the community that provide unwavering dedication to the district and we could not do the work we do without them, so thank you!
In addition to preparing the builidng over the summer, we also hired a few new members to the Newbury Black Knight Staff. I would like to welcome our new staff members to Newbury Local Schools:
- Jessica Lee – counselor
- April Mayer - proctor
- Jackie Krumel – Media Specialist and 5th grade co-teacher
- Kate Pike – 2nd grade teacher
- Angela McFadden – HS technology
We will begin the school year with two in-service days. Our first day back for all staff this year is August 14, 2017. All staff will report as follows:
- August 14, 2107 – Opening Day will begin at 7:45am with breakfast and opening remarks. The day’s events will be held in the cafeteria to begin and move to the new staff PD room (in the old library space). (See attached itinerary)
- August 15, 2017 – The day begins at 7:35am and this day will be spent with your building principals
- August 16, 2017 is NEA work day and staff should report at 7:35am
- Open Houses are on August 16, 2017
- The elementary school begins at 6:00pm and ends at 7:00pm;
- High school begins at 7:00pm and ends at 8:00pm. The BKP (Black Knight Parents Association), will be hosting an ice cream social from 5:30pm to 7:00pm on August 16, 2017, as well.
- First Day for Students – August 17, 2017
I am looking forward to a great 2017-18 school year!
Go Black Knights!
Michelle (Mrakovich) Kalish